Monday, January 9, 2012

Do You Bring Misery or Relief?

Over the past few days, I have been reevaluating the way I interact with my friends...especially when they are in a time of crisis...and honestly, not just my friends, but my husband and my two daughters.  You can't help but do this when you read the book of Job.

As I read Job 13:5 "If only you would be altogether silent! For you, that would be wisdom."  Job says this to his friends who have come to comfort him when he has lost everything...they go on and on thinking they know how to "fix" his problems and what he needs to do to make things right.  This is SO my typical reaction to situations, I try to be the problem solver, I try to put my two cents in and many times that IS NOT what God's wants from me...He needs silence from me!  I do not know what God is doing in the heavenly realms.   Many times I open my big mouth (most of the time with the best intentions) and end up making things worse.  May I learn to be silent....to turn to the Lord and to TRUST Him.  Father, give me discernment!

Another verse that was highlighted with God's finger was Job chapter 16 verse 2-3 " .....miserable comforters are you all!  Will your long-winded speeches never end? ...."   Many times when my friends (or husband, or daughters) simply needed someone to listen to them, to sit with them...HERE I GO.... into one of my LLLOOONNNNGGG speeches....Forgive me Lord!  Teach me to be more like Job, 16 verse 5 "But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief."  May I NOT bring misery....but may I bring relief!!!   May I be one that my friends can count on to be quiet (oh, what a challenge!) and one that they know will speak words that will bring relief!

Now, I COMPLETELY KNOW and BELIEVE that our Heavenly Father is the ONLY ONE that can bring comfort and relief, but I do believe He has placed other humans here on earth for us to live with in community.....to be helpmates and to be teachers, role models, mentors....may we learn to discern the role that we play in comforting others!  

2 comments:

  1. Mamaw Really Enjoyed This , She Said You Made Her Day ! Just To Have A Hearing Ear Is Sometimes A Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete